Zucchini Crust Pizza
This is a yummy fantastic recipe that was recommended to me from one of the people I Coach. Melissa is presently kicking butt in my T25 Challenge Group. Every week more inched and pounds are gone, but more importantly her dedication to long term change and infectious positive attitude brings such awesome energy to this tight knot group! She is well on her way to a healthier lifestyle so she can be more active with her beautiful son. I love this recipe for zucchini crust pizza!
Zucchini Crust Pizza – Basic Info
This recipe can be doubled. It can be found on seattlelocalfoods.com.
If you have made the cauliflower pizza crust before, it works the same way, only you pre-shred the zucchini raw, and drain out its excess liquid, whereas you mash the cauliflower after cooking it. If you have a food processor with a top shredding blade, assembling this crust is pretty quick. The whole pizza-making process is actually pretty quick and easy. The result is a thinner crust than the cauliflower, with a nice chewiness. A wetter topping, like tomato sauce, can make it a bit soggy, but it tastes so good, I don’t mind. Pesto works really well too. Delicious. You can even go sauce free and use fresh tomatoes. Have fun with it!
The pizza above has tomato sauce, fresh mozzarella, extra parmesan, fresh yellow tomatoes added at the end, and a sauté of garlic, onion, Italian parsley, and mushrooms.
Zucchini Crust Pizza – Ingredients
For the crust:
- 1 large egg or 2 small ones
- About 3 small-medium zucchinis (mine were about 8″)
- 1.5 cups grated parmesan or mozzarella. I liked parmesan best for this one.
About the crust proportions: You can really vary them, as long as there is enough egg to bind the other ingredients together, enough cheese to brown, and enough zucchini (with water squeezed out) to give it character. More cheese will make a crispier, browner crust.
For the toppings:
Use anything you like on a pizza. Be Creative!
- Mild tomato sauce OR pesto
- Grated firm mozzarella cheese OR sliced fresh mozzarella cheese (measure out so you do not go overboard on the calories)
- Ricotta cheese or goat cheese, for small dollops on top (optional)
- Assorted vegetables. Pre-sauté for extra flavor, especially if you’re using onion, garlic and mushrooms. A little italian parsley or basil is nice too; the basil can be added fresh after the pizza is cooked, and the parsley is nice in the sauté. Finely chopped greens are nice. Fresh tomatoes can be added after the pizza is cooked too.
- Meat if you like/eat meat on pizza: Crumbled turkey sausage would work well. Pre-sauté. Lean ground turkey or chicken would be tasty, cooked with lots of garlic.
- Olive oil, black pepper
Zucchini Crust Pizza – Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F
2. Grate the zucchini.
3. Sprinkle salt on the zucchini and stir. Let it sit a few minutes.
4. Squeeze the water out. I found the easiest way to do this was to wrap it in cheese cloth or butter muslin and squeeze. You can also put the zucchini on one plate and press another plate on top of it, or put it in a colander and press a bowl into it.
5. Mix with egg and grated cheese.
6. Spread parchment paper on a pizza stone or baking sheet. Spread out your dough batter about 1/2 inch thick into a circle.
7. Put it in the oven and cook until it has browned, about 15-20 minutes. Meanwhile, as it is cooking, sauté any toppings you want cooked. I sautéed garlic, onions, mushrooms and Italian parsley.
8. Take the browned bottom crust out of the oven and admire it.
9. Cover it with your toppings.
Zucchini Crust Pizza – Final Steps
You are almost done with your zucchini crust pizza. I can smell the anticipated yumminess! Bake again until crust edges brown further and cheese on top melts into toppings. Take out of oven and add drizzled olive oil, grated black pepper, and optional fresh tomatoes and fresh basil. Serve hot.
ENJOY! 🙂 Please Share with anyone you think would find this zucchini crust pizza recipe helpful using the social media icons below. Please comment on your thoughts on the recipe and any modification idea. Be Healthy!