Healthy Apple Pie
Nothing says Thanksgiving like apple pie and even better when its a healthy apple pie!! Truth be told, I have never made a pie in my life. My crowning cooking achievement has been chocolate cheese cake. However, I love the mixture of cinnamon, apples and flaky crust. Are you getting hungry reading this?! So, I decided to do some research and make a healthy apple pie.
I made this recipe a mixture of apple pie from the 21 Day Fix and a few online healthy recipes that helped reduce the sugar and make it gluten free. I know many people are insulin resistant and have gluten allergies so I wanted everyone to be able to enjoy. Check out the healthy apple pie recipe below!
Healthy Apple Pie – Pie Crust Ingredients
- 4 cups coconut flour or blanched almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut oil- melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons full fat coconut milk cold *Make sure to mix coconut milk thoroughly before using.
Healthy Apple Pie – Pie Crust Directions
- Mix flour and salt together in a bowl.
- Add Oil at once to flour.
- Add the coconut milk
- Stir until mixed and shape into 2 flat balls.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 1/2 an hour.
- Lay one dough onto plastic wrap, sprinkle some flour on plastic wrap and on top of dough and lay another piece on top. Roll out with a rolling pin as large as your pie dish is.
- Spray your pie plate with nonstick cooking spray, take the top piece off and flip over into the pie dish, pressing dough all around.
- Prick the bottom of the dough with a fork. Cut off the excess so the crust is flush with the rim.
- Save your second dough in the refrigerator wrapped in plastic wrap to use within a few days or roll out into a pie dish following same procedure as above and freeze into a Ziploc freezer bag for another day
Healthy Apple Pie – Filling Ingredients
- 5 medium apples- peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil- melted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar or 1-1/2 tablespoon powdered stevia
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 egg white
Healthy Apple Pie – Filling Instructions
- Pour 1 tablespoon of lemon juice over sliced apples and toss.
- In a small bowl mix cinnamon, apple pie spice, salt, coconut oil and stevia.
- If using coconut sugar instead of stevia need to simmer with 2 tablespoons water to dissolve before adding
- Toss over apples and carefully mix.
Healthy Apple Pie – Cooking
- Position rack on the lower third of oven and preheat to 400 degrees.
- Add apples into prepared bottom pie crust, then cover apples with top crust.
- Brush top crust with egg white, sprinkle with cinnamon if desired
- Bake pie for 10 min at 400 degrees F
- Reduce heat to 325 degrees F bake pie for 40 more minutes (until apples are tender)ed.
- Let rest 20 minutes before slicing.
I am SUPER Excited to make my first apple pie and best yet its going to be a yummy but health apple pie!! Let me know what you think by commenting below. Do you have other healthy pie recipes? I would love for you to share them with us all below!
Happy Thanksgiving! Have a Wonderful Day with friend and family and enjoy some healthy apple pie!